Skip to content

Eligibility and Enrollment


City of Akron employees who are defined as “full-time, permanent” active employees may enroll in the benefits described on this site. As a new employee, you are eligible for benefits on the 1st day of the month following date of hire unless you are an elected or appointed official. Benefits are effective on the first day of the term of office for elected officials and the first day of employment for appointed officials. The following family members are eligible to be covered on the plan as your dependents:

  • The employee’s lawfully married spouse
  • The employee or lawfully married spouse’s Dependent under age 26 who is a:
    • Natural child
    • Stepchild
    • Child placed for adoption or legally adopted child
    • Child for whom either the employee or spouse is the legal guardian or custodian
    • Any children who, by court order, must be provided health care coverage by the employee or employee’s spouse

Eligibility Verification is required upon enrolling in the City of Akron Benefit Plan for employees and dependents. You have 31 days from your effective date to supply your one time verification for you and your dependents.

Note: If your spouse works and is eligible for health and/or prescription drug insurance coverage from his/her employer, your spouse must enroll in the employer’s health plan or you may have to pay a $150 monthly spousal surcharge to have your spouse enrolled in the City of Akron’s health plan as primary.

Your spouse may be enrolled in the City of Akron’s health plan as secondary and you do not have to pay the $150 spousal surcharge. For additional information, please refer to the “Spousal Provision” guidelines and forms. Employees who want to enroll a spouse in the benefits plan as either primary or secondary must submit a completed “Spousal Provision Form”.

Eligibility Verification Documents

Spouse of an Employee
Marriage certificate AND one form of documentation establishing current marital status such as jointly filed federal tax return, joint mortgage/lease, joint bank or credit account, insurance policy dated within the past 6 months.

Dependent Child (under age 26)
Birth certificate or adoption decree naming the employee or employee’s lawful spouse as the parent OR copy of court order naming the employee as the child’s legal guardian or  custodian.

Disabled Dependent Child (age 26 or older)
Birth certificate or adoption decree naming the employee or employee’s lawful spouse as the parent OR copy of court order naming the employee as the child’s legal guardian or Custodian AND Disability Verification Form, as required.

If You Don’t Enroll

If you are a new hire and you do not return the required forms, you will only be enrolled for the Group Life Insurance that is provided by the City of Akron. You will not have medical/prescription, dental, or vision benefits. Your next opportunity to enroll for the medical/prescription, dental or vision benefits will be at the next Open Enrollment period or if you have a qualifying life event.

Qualifying Life Events

If you experience a Qualifying Life Event outside of open enrollment you must enroll or make changes within 31 days of the Qualifying Event. Failure to report changes in a timely manner may result in a delay of coverage until the next open enrollment period.

Events that may qualify as a mid-year change in benefits enrollment include:

  • Change in lawful marital status (including marriage, divorce or death of a spouse)
  • Change in the number of dependents (including birth, adoption, placement for adoption, or death of a dependent)
  • Change in the eligibility status of a dependent
  • Change in the employment status, work schedule, or benefits status of an employee, spouse or dependent that results in gaining or losing eligibility coverage
  • Significant increase in contributions or a significant reduction in coverage under your or your spouse’s health care plan
  • Change to comply with a Qualified Medical Child Support Order

NOTE: If you have a qualifying event, you have 31 days from the date of the event to notify the Employee Benefits Division that you need to make a change to your benefits. If you do not notify the Employee Benefits Division, complete a change form and submit supporting documentation within 31 days you will not be eligible to make any changes to your benefits until the next Open Enrollment period.

It is your responsibility to notify Employee Benefits when your spouse and/or other dependents lose or obtain other health insurance coverage. You are personally responsible for any benefits paid should you provide inaccurate information or fail to provide timely notification to Employee Benefits.